Petco not liable in fatal ‘rat bite fever’ case, jury says – The San Diego Union

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Apr 21, 2017 in Rat News | Subscribe

A San Diego jury has found that Petco was not negligent when it sold a pet rat to a 10-year-old boy who later became sick and died after handling the animal.

Aidan Pankey died of an ailment known as rat bite fever, the result of a bacterial infection he contracted from a rat that was bred for sale as a pet.

A San Diego Superior Court jury deliberated about a day before reaching verdicts late Wednesday. The verdicts were read Thursday morning in Judge Eddie Sturgeon’s courtroom.

The panel found that Petco Animal Services Inc. knew or should have known that the pet rat was potentially dangerous when “used or misused” by a consumer in a reasonable manner. However, the jury said, Petco did not fail in its duty to adequately warn consumers of the potential danger and instruct them on how to handle rats safely.

Copyright © 2020 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from