Space Heater Blamed For House Fire

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Nov 30, 2015 in Rat News | Subscribe

EUGENE, Ore. — A space heater is blamed for an early morning house fire in Eugene.

Firefighters said five people living in the home escaped injury. 

The fire started in the basement at a home on West 10th street at 8:45 a.m. on Sunday morning.

One of the residents said they lost everything. 

“This is the worst thing that has ever happened to me,” said resident, Jane Andres.

While choking back tears, Andres recalled the moments of seeing smoke come up the stairs. 

“I finished eating up breakfast and then I turned over to the basement stairs. I just see smoke coming out,” said Andres. 

Andres then ran down the stairs to save two pet rats.

“I go down and the tapestry was completely on fire and all the woodwork in the basement was just up,” said Andres. 

Despite efforts to save them, it was too late.

“I just ran back upstairs yelling fire, trying to get all my housemates and their animals out,” said Andres. 

Andres lost everything. 

“I’m a musician, I had guitars down in that basement, I had a laptop that had the album I was working on. Those are all gone now,” said Andres. 

Andres is heartbroken over the loss of the pets.

Fire investigators focused on a space heater as a cause to the fire. They said with the colder temperatures more space heaters are being used.

“A lot more space heaters are seen, so just watch your space heater placements near combustibles,” said Battalion Chief, Lance Lighty.

Fire crews said all five of the residents made it out of the home safely.

Fire crews add that this fire serves as a good reminder to follow space heater rules.

Article source: http://www.kezi.com/news/Space_Heater_Blamed_For_House_Fire_.html

Tags: , , , , ,

Copyright © 2017 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from BuyNowShop.com.