Potential pet owners invited to name-your-own-price event at shelter

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Apr 1, 2013 in Rat Answers | Subscribe

Aggieland Humane Society will be letting you choose what price to pay for a new pet today, and it is no April Fool’s joke.


The shelter, at 5359 Leonard Road in Bryan, will hold its first “Name Your Own Price Adoptions” event from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., or until all animals are claimed by new families, said Kathy Bice, the humane society’s executive director.

“We picked April Fool’s because there’s no joking around. You name your own price,” Bice said.

On any given day, the shelter can have up to 90 animals in need of new homes. It cares for animals that are brought in from Brazos County and College Station.

Last month, Aggieland Humane Society had an 83 percent save rate, Bice said. The other 17 percent of animals are either dangerous, have serious behavioral conditions or are medically untreatable.

“This will help us keep from overcrowding. Since no animal is killed to make space, this will help us make space for other orphans that need help,” Bice said.

Bice said the event is part of an effort to boost adoptions. Other rescue shelters have had success with name-your-price events, she said.

The typical value of a shelter adoption package is between $300 and $400, Bice said.

To adopt an animal typically costs between $50 and $125, depending on the animal type and age. Leiha White, the operations supervisor for the shelter, said she hopes people will recognize that adopting can save money.

“It’s spayed or neutered, it has at least a first round of vaccinations, it’s microchipped … that’s just very much skimming the top of it,” White said. “I don’t think people really realize how much is included in the adoption. If you think about our adoption fees, they’re pretty minimal.”

Currently, the shelter has dogs — mostly adults, but a few puppies, too — cats, kittens and even a couple of rats and a rabbit.

“Our goal is to adopt every animal that is ready for adoption,” Bice said.

If you live in a rented residence and are planning to adopt an animal at the event, Bice said it is important to review your rental agreement to see if there are any restrictions on pet size or breed.

And if there are any other pets in the home, those looking to adopt must bring proof that the pets are up-to-date on their rabies vaccinations and also bring county tag information.

“They are always grateful to whomever takes them out of the shelter,” White said. “There’s something about a shelter dog that I seriously think that they know that you are the one that did adopt them from the shelter.”

Article source: http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_48fefa76-1dd7-5b2a-93fd-19dcad2dfe32.html

Tags: , , , , ,

Copyright © 2018 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from BuyNowShop.com.