Last updated at 16:25, Friday, 04 February 2011
POLICE have launched a probe after it was alleged two pet rats were cooked in a microwave until they exploded.
The Evening Mail understands the incident happened at a party. Police were apparently alerted by people who had seen comments about the event on social networking website Facebook.
It is believed the rats were bought from Pets at Home in Barrow last weekend.
Police last night confirmed a man had been arrested in connection with the incident.
Detective Chief Inspector Mike Forrester said: “One male has been arrested following inquiries by the police in conjunction with the RSPCA in connection with animal cruelty.
“The individual is currently on bail.”
He said a decision was still to be made as to whether there would be a prosecution.
The Evening Mail understands that after the sale last weekend, Pets at Home staff were horrified to learn of material posted on Facebook discussing the incident.
A Pets at Home spokesman said: “We have co-operated fully with the police to help identify those responsible.
“People at Pets at Home care 100 per cent about the welfare of their animals and about what happens to them after they have sold them.”
He added: “A lot of people keep rats as pets. They are quite social animals and quite easy to keep.”
The company says only specially-trained staff at its stores are allowed to handle the actual sale of pets.
The spokesman added: “They go through a whole series of checks to make sure that the people who buy pets are responsible pet owners.
“We take a full inventory of who people are and where they live before an animal is sold.”
First published at 13:46, Friday, 04 February 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Symptomatic of a permissive society- just watch them get a measly slap on the wrist.The law almost always comes down on the side of the offender. The prosecutors should bear in mind that people who abuse animals often go on to do even sicker things to people and stop it now.
Posted by Onlyme on
4 February 2011 at 18:36