Rat Chatter forums
October 23, 2017, 04:31:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Mr.R's Dumbo May 5, 2011 ~ RatChatter Forums are permanently CLOSED (Read Only) due to Health Issues. Mr.R's Dumbo

Help Tutorials GoogleTagged Tags  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ferret advice  (Read 2388 times)
Rattus
Date Registerd: November 15, 2008, 03:45:00 PM
Last Login: April 02, 2011, 04:44:05 AM

« on: March 08, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »

i know some of you have ferrets out there so i was wondering if you could gove me some advice on them , i am looking to addopt one or maybe a pair and was after some more info. maybe you have a link ??

im after stuff like cage size and foods ect .

how long should i let them out to play for ???

i really want them to be indoors ferrets and have 3 old rat cages that i might magic into a bigger ferret cage .

Snatches Gang
 Edwin, Marvin, Bodger
Berties Bunch
Bertie,  Dodger, Twix, Stumpy
The little ones
 Norman, Ty, Shampers
The little horror's smiley
Berkshire, Reuben, Dante
The hammys
  Keith, Tj 
Rainbow bridge
Smokey, Sneak ,Shandy, Chester, Scurry, Bandit, Pee wee
Snatch,Chu Wee, Polo, Twiddle,Ned,,Luna
I ♥ <:3 )~~~
Global Mod-a-ratter
B.R.O.C.
Date Registerd: October 25, 2007, 04:37:20 PM
Last Login: August 11, 2013, 04:09:15 AM
.::Owned By Rats::.

SarahLynnClydesdale tunaynamahal82
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »

I had a Ferret for about 4 years. They are very rambunctious and full of energy. I would take our Ferret out for about 3-4 hours every day. She had a smaller two level cage, but I really wish I had been able to get her a Ferret Nation. And I wish we had gotten her a playmate as well.

I know Brittney has had Ferret's also.

Rattus
Date Registerd: November 15, 2008, 03:45:00 PM
Last Login: April 02, 2011, 04:44:05 AM

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »

'rambunctious' i had to google that lol

thanks for the info sarah

Snatches Gang
 Edwin, Marvin, Bodger
Berties Bunch
Bertie,  Dodger, Twix, Stumpy
The little ones
 Norman, Ty, Shampers
The little horror's smiley
Berkshire, Reuben, Dante
The hammys
  Keith, Tj 
Rainbow bridge
Smokey, Sneak ,Shandy, Chester, Scurry, Bandit, Pee wee
Snatch,Chu Wee, Polo, Twiddle,Ned,,Luna
Star's Rat Rescue
Global Mod-a-ratter
B.R.O.C.
Date Registerd: February 22, 2008, 02:06:58 AM
Last Login: June 21, 2015, 01:17:41 PM
My sweetie pie Miss.B!

Star's Rat Rescue Starsrescue Starsratrescue
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:29:56 PM »

Ohh ferrets are SO fun but are defiantly a lot of work (keep in mind that I had 4 at the time though lol). Ok so lets see what all I can tell you.

First buy the book called "Ferrets For Dummies" it is amazing and will help you out a lot for foods, play time, treats, etc. Here is the link to the book. wink http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=ferrets+for+dummies&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15281781021222712734&sa=X&ei=TXd-Tcv4BdH3rAHQ6535BQ&ved=0CD4Q8wIwBA#

im after stuff like cage size and foods ect .
:
A ferrets cage size at minimum should be at least 3 foot width X 2 foot depth X 2 foot height. Buy the largest that you can afford, ferrets are not caged animals, you only cage them for their protection and need time out of it's cage at least 4 hours daily. If you cannot provide that, don't get a ferret.
Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_kind_of_cage_is_best_for_your_ferret#ixzz1Gbhidzk6
  Honestly my favorite cage for ferrets would defiantly be a Double Ferret Nation.

how long should i let them out to play for ??? At least 4 hours a day if not more. I know my older ferrets who where 7 years of age would play for about 2 hours and then find a comfy place to sleep but that was because they where older gals. Also remember any place that the ferret can fit his/her head the rest of the body will follow. And before you get a ferret you should ferret proof your house/room that you plan to let him/her run in for playtime as they will get into EVERYTHING they can to play with it or check it out. Like wires, holes and even other animals.

Oh yes and I would highly recommend getting 2 ferrets and not just one as they love a snuggle buddy and someone to play with that is their size! smiley But once you are all set to go to own a ferret you will have a blast. They make you laugh all the time and will keep ya busy too! You will have to update us and let us know if you do indeed get some ferrets!

Hope this helps and let me know if you have anymore questions and I will do my best to answer them. wink

--Awesome Rat Items!Click Here To See Them--
The Girls:
Dot, Sally, Speckle, Kiwi, Pearl, Stardust, Pixie, Miss.B, Bubbles, Twinkle and Margarita!

The Boys:
Bolt, Squirt, Boots and Waffles!

RIP:Abby,Smokey, Baby Girl, Bertha, Maximus "The Greatest", Marv, Mini, Dakota, Zoe, Ann, Lily, Charlie, Tinker, Baby Moe, Nala, Trixie "Momma Trixie", Mousy, Talker, Lil'Bit, Patches, Bell, Sophie, Sassy, Tiger, Snowflake, Teddy, Starburst, Jarret, Ruby, Lightning, Mae-Belle, Boo Boo, Linnie, Joe "Mynub", Jasmine, Snowball, Cupcake, Flower
Global Mod-a-ratter
B.R.O.C.
Date Registerd: October 25, 2007, 07:40:44 PM
Last Login: May 06, 2011, 06:13:53 PM

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:58:05 PM »

I've had 4 ferrets..they are so much fun and so sweet!  Rambunctious is the perfect word to describe them, I agree w/Sarah!  They are full of energy and need to get out for at least a few hours a day.  And the bigger the cage the better.  I have a cage that is taller than I am (same one I had my rats in) and pretty wide as well.  I had a female that lived alone first..she was older when she was given to me..after she passed I had another female that lived alone..then I had two males at the same time and I really think its best to get two..they love to sleep together, play together..very social and smart...and its so much more fun!  They are so cute when they interact and play together.  They can also get into a lot of trouble..If I remember right I think ferret actually means "little theif" they are so funny! You gotta keep an eye on them! Keep us updated..my ferrets brought me a lot of joy..i miss having them!

Vickie, Missy, and Tuffy
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: