Fire tears through roof space of Brighton restaurant

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Dec 8, 2015 in Rat News | Subscribe

A FIRE ripped through the roof space of a central Brighton restaurant this afternoon.

Six fire crews from across Brighton and Hove as well as Newhaven and a command unit from Lewes were sent to the Pomegranate restaurant in Manchester Street at about 2.30pm.

Ten firefighters wearing breathing gear entered the smoke-logged terrace property and hauled hoses up the stairs to tackle the blaze, which is thought to have originated in the roof space.

An aerial platform was also used to survey the scene from above as white smoke swirled around in the winter breeze.

Witnesses initially thought the smell was more akin to roadworks or party candles before realising the seriousness of the fire.

A woman living next door fled her dwelling with her flat-mates and their pet rats in a cage.

The fire service has said the flames have badly damaged the property.

The front of the black-bricked building is still issuing wisps of smoke and dripping with water as crews shore up the damage and try to establish the cause.

There are no reported casualties.

See The Argus tomorrow for a full report.

Article source: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14131706.Fire_tears_through_roof_space_of_Brighton_restaurant/

Tags: , , , , ,

Copyright © 2017 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from BuyNowShop.com.