Fire service issue warning after dog dies in Braintree kitchen blaze …

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Jun 8, 2017 in Rat News | Subscribe

PUBLISHED: 17:20 07 June 2017 | UPDATED: 17:20 07 June 2017

Essex Fire Service has issued a warning for people not go back into their homes during a fire. Picture: MICHAEL STEWARD

Essex Fire Service has issued a warning for people not go back into their homes during a fire. Picture: MICHAEL STEWARD

Archant

The house in Templar Road, Braintree, where a dog died in a house fire. Picture: MICHAEL STEWARD

The house blaze, which took place in Templar Road, Braintree, on Tuesday night, was believed to have been started by the family’s pet dog.

The dog lost its life in the blaze, which took place at around 7.15pm, after it is believed it jumped up at the cooker and turned it on, catching items left on the oven on fire.

The occupant came home to find the house full of smoke and then went back into the house to try to save their dog, but suffered smoke inhalation and had to leave.

Firefighters did manage to rescue two pet rats from the house, which had smoke alarms fitted without working batteries.

A spokesman for Essex Fire and Rescue Service said: “We advise everyone if you have a fire in your home to get out, stay out and call the fire service.

“Incidents like this also show how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home.

“It is important you shut all your internal doors when you go out as this can prevent the fire and smoke spreading around your house as quickly.” A Templar Road resident, who did not want to be named, said: “My daughter said she saw all the fire engines and commotion when she came home.”

Fire crews entered the house wearing breathing apparatus and managed to extinguish the blaze by 7.40pm.

They then used a high-powered fan to clear the house of smoke.

The kitchen was destroyed and the rest of the house suffered extensive smoke damage. The house is no longer habitable.

A fundraising page has been set up to support the family following the fire, and £850 has already been raised towards a £1,000 target.

A statement on the Justgiving page, started by Karen Barefield, said: “The Brett family have lost their beloved family dog and many of their possessions after a house fire on June 6.

“To help them to get back on their feet, please donate as much or as little as you can.”

To donate, visit the Justgiving link here.

A spokeswoman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called at 7.29pm to reports of a house fire in Templar Road, Braintree.

“We sent a rapid response vehicle, two ambulance crews and a Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) to the scene.

“Paramedics treated three people at the scene for smoke inhalation and they were taken to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford for further treatment.”

Article source: http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/fire-service-issue-warning-after-dog-dies-in-braintree-kitchen-blaze-1-5052811

Tags: , , , , ,

Copyright © 2017 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from BuyNowShop.com.