Fire quelled at Cliffside Apartments in Sunderland

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Aug 21, 2017 in Rat News | Subscribe

SUNDERLAND — Unattended cooking caused a fire at Cliffside Apartments Aug. 9 that sent one to the hospital with smoke inhalation, according to the state fire marshal’s office.

Spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth said Aug. 10 that an individual noticed the fire start, but suffered smoke inhalation after entering the room to try and put it out. That person was transported to the hospital.

Firefighters from nearly 10 neighboring towns responded to the fire at the M building of the apartment community at 248 Amherst Road around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters rescued pet rats, a cat and a small dog from the building. None of the animals were harmed, despite heavy smoke damage inside.

Mieth said cooking is the top cause of fires in homes and of fire-related injuries. She said the fire marshal’s office promotes two safety-related messages:

Stand by your pan. Stay in the kitchen while you’re cooking

Put a lid on it. Should a stove top fire occur, place a lid over it and turn off the heat, and the flames should smother.

Sunderland Fire Capt. Michael Zeoli said the fire was reported around 6:30 p.m., and firefighters arrived to find smoke coming from building M.

Firefighters from several neighboring towns responded to the incident. They smashed a front window, entered with charged hoselines, and quickly knocked down the flames. Thirty minutes later, thin black smoke could be seen drifting out of a third-story window.

“A lot of times we have to cut a hole in the roof to let gases out,” Zeoli said, looking up South Deerfield’s extended ladder truck. At the top, firefighters watched the roof for flareups. Some of the shingles were burned black.

It’s not clear how many, if any, residents were displaced.

Responding fire departments included Sunderland, Amherst, Montague Center, Deerfield, South Deerfield, Whately, Conway, Greenfield, Hadley and Leverett. South County EMS, and an ambulance from Amherst Fire Department were also on scene.

Article source: http://www.amherstbulletin.com/a1-fire-in-sunderland-11890770

Tags: , , , , ,

Copyright © 2018 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from BuyNowShop.com.