Fire marshal’s office: Cliffside Apartments fire caused by unattended cooking

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Sep 7, 2017 in Rat News | Subscribe

SUNDERLAND — Unattended cooking caused a fire at Cliffside Apartments Wednesday that sent one to the hospital with smoke inhalation, according to the state fire marshal’s office.

Spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth said Thursday evening that an individual noticed the fire start, but suffered smoke inhalation after entering the room to try and put it out. That person was transported to the hospital.

Firefighters from nearly 10 neighboring towns responded to the fire at the M building of the apartment community at 248 Amherst Road around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters rescued pet rats, a cat and a small dog from the building. None of the animals were harmed, despite heavy smoke damage inside.

Mieth said cooking is the top cause of fires in homes and of fire-related injuries. She said the fire marshal’s office promotes two safety-related messages:

Stand by your pan. Stay in the kitchen while you’re cooking

Put a lid on it. Should a stove top fire occur, place a lid over it and turn off the heat, and the flames should smother.

Article source: http://www.gazettenet.com/a1-sunderland-fire-cause-11800077

Tags: , , , , ,

Copyright © 2017 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from BuyNowShop.com.