Crews extinguish Roosevelt Ave. fire in York

Posted by Big Rat on Campus on Aug 19, 2011 in Rat News | Subscribe

York, PA – Emergency crews extinguished a fire at a row house this morning at 302 Roosevelt Ave. in York.

At about 7:20 a.m. Lilivette Nieves, 17, was awakened by a smoke alarm at the home.

The rest of her family then woke up and saw the home was filled with thick, black smoke, Nieves said.

They went outside and found smoke coming from a basement window. Nieves’ mother, Tomasa Guadarrama, grabbed a garden hose and began putting water through the window.

Fire crews then responded.

The five people living in the home escaped the fire, but Nieves’ brother, Henry Nieves, 35, was forced onto a second-floor balcony at the rear of the home.

Henry Nieves said he was cooking something earlier in the morning, but when he was done cooking he went upstairs to his room. He said he then smelled smoke but ignored it because he thought it was from the neighbors.

After the smoke got thicker, he went back downstairs to see if he had turned the stove off after cooking – he had. He said he also checked behind the refrigerator because the smoke smelled like burning wires.

He later saw smoke from the basement, and after throwing water on it, went back upstairs to get his laptop.

By the time he gathered his things, the smoke was halfway up the first-floor walls and too thick for Henry Nieves to go through. He then decided to go out onto the balcony, he said.

Before a fire crew could get a ladder to him, Henry Nieves got to safety by shimmying down a chain he took from a hanging plant and attached to the balcony.

Henry Nieves was treated at the scene by EMS for smoke inhalation and scrapes on his hands he suffered from using the chain.

The homes adjacent to 302 Roosevelt also sustained smoke damage. Firefighters rescued a ferret and four pet rats from one of those homes.
The cause of the fire isn’t yet known, York fire Chief Steven Buffington said.

There also was no damage estimate as of late Friday morning, Buffington said. But damage to the basement and first floor was substantial.

Article source: http://www.ydr.com/crime/ci_18715904

Tags: , , , , ,

One Comment

  • Crystal says:

    I was informed by neighbors that this family has my dog that broke out of my house when i was at work today if anyone knows how to reach them please call me at 7176504954

Copyright © 2017 RatChatter All rights reserved.
RatChatter v1.0 theme from BuyNowShop.com.